.

The St. Johns Independent

Hart Traces F-M Growth

Only 34 on Payroll Here 17 Years Ago

Federal-Mogul’s contribution to the economic development of St. Johns is demonstrated by the company’s employment figures compiled this past week by Kermit M. Hart, local plant manager.

The St. Johns plant was established in 1946 and began operations early in 1947 in the renovated structure formerly owned by the late George H. Chapman on North Mead Street.

In 1947 there were 34 on the company’s local payroll. This year employment has reached a peak of 520 and amounts to $3.7 millions annually.

KERMIT M. HART
St. Johns F-M Manager

DURING THE company’s 17 years in St. Johns there have been five building expansions prior to the major project announced this week.

Employment figures for the years 1947 through 1964 have been as follows:

Year Employees

1947……………………………34

1948…………………………..115

1949…………………………..168

1950…………………………..136

1951…………………………..197

1952…………………………..293

1953…………………………..298

1954…………………………..321

1955…………………………..337

1956…………………………447

1957…………………………462

1958…………………………457

1959…………………………452

1960…………………………439

1961…………………………407

1962…………………………485

1963…………………………469

1964…………………………520

— June 4, 1964

Category: FM Archives