New asphalt and concrete, temporary fencing – and lots and lots of heavy machinery.
That’s part of the scenery at St. Johns Public School buildings and facilities where construction work is in full swing at sites around the district.
“This is an exciting time for all residents of the St. Johns School District,” St. Johns Board of Education President Bill Tennant says. The $64.3 million bond that voters approved last year for renovations and new construction at facilities across the district underscores the community’s commitment to providing the best possible education for students.”
Visible signs of progress are everywhere, particularly in the area of St. Johns High School. Temporary parking lots for both school and construction use are in place, as is construction safety fencing in the main high school parking lot and the area for the new academic and athletic additions. Construction work on the new academic wing is slated to begin in mid-October.
Site work at the high school football field will also begin in October, following the final home football game, Oct. 21.
Following is a brief overview of work that was completed over the summer months, and what’s on the drawing board for coming months.
- Site preparations have begun for the upcoming academic addition
- Storm and sanitary infrastructure is in place related to construction
- Temporary parking lots and drives are in place both for school and construction use
- Construction safety fencing is installed where the academic addition will be constructed
- Construction safety fencing is installed for the athletic addition
- New bleachers are installed at the high school gym
- Planning and estimating is in progress for the high school project; bidding begins in September
- Fiber optic extension connecting the high school to the middle school is completed
- Installation of technology network equipment is under way and will be completed by the start of the school year for all school facilities with the exception of the high school
- New district-wide phone system is installed; high school will be phased in due to construction
- Updated voice and data cabling is installed; high school completed at a later date
- Classroom projectors and screens are installed at all schools except the high school
- Implementation of new computers is ongoing throughout the year
- New sidewalks, site drainage, new parking lots for event parking and safety at all rural schools; new and additional site lighting installed for safety and security
- Defined handicap parking spaces and updated sidewalks for ADA compliance
- Defined bus loop drop-off area at Riley and East Olive for safety of students
- Defined staff parking at all schools
- Defined parent drop-off area at all schools for safety of students
High School Athletics
- Construction documents are being completed for the football field and adjacent buildings; planning is ongoing for athletic fields on the south side of Sickels Street (soccer, track, baseball and softball)
Check out the St. Johns School District web site for more construction information via the Bond Project Update link at www.sjredwings.org