by Barry Bauer
The scene in this photo taken on May 19, 1940 is somewhat familiar, but the celebration isn’t? Who ever heard of Citizenship Day? This was the first of what was supposed to be an annual celebration.
Lining the sidewalks are young ladies holding signs representing cities, townships, and villages surrounding the St. Johns area. The three young majorettes aren’t identified but they are leading the Buick Liberty Post Bugle and Drum Corps from Flint, Michigan.
The background stores in this photo are on the east side of the 200 block of N. Clinton Ave. E. MacKinnon Co. was located here before moving to the west side in the same block. Next to it is the Con Stephan Cigar Mfgr.